Review: Scandalized by Tara Frejas

12:23 PM

I was mindlessly scrolling my Twitter feed when I saw Tara's tweet about signing-up for an ARC of Scandalized. It was a product of #SparkNA, a writing class I also joined last year. I signed up last Saturday and in that same day, I received the ARC kit. I wasn't able to start reading it right away, because you know "real life", but as soon as I did, I wasn't able to put it down.

Summary:


Fi Legaspi is living the dream working in Seoul as a road manager for one of South Korea's hottest bands, East Genesis Project. Until she isn't.

When she finds herself in the middle of a scandal and a hostile fangirl witch hunt, Fi seeks the comfort of home, and to her surprise, not the person she had been pining for for years. All too suddenly it's no longer her career on the line, but also her heart. 

Will she walk away from everything that matters to her or fight to keep her dream alive?



How do I love this? Let me count the ways!

  1. I never liked Kpop, but I used to be addicted to KDrama. Reading Scandalized was like watching one. Complete with a love triangle with a brooding guy and another guy who really really likes the main character. Only here, I get to choose who gets to be in cast and it all plays out on my mind.
  2. Speaking of cast, I don't know if it's because Tara kept on tweeting about Daniel Henney, but in my mind, he is Gabriel. I had a super crush on Daniel Henney when I first saw him at My Name is Kim Sam Soon. 
  3. I laughed at all the references to Mean Girls. 
  4. I liked Fi and her resilience. I liked that she was not desperate to jump into a relationship with someone whom she had pined for for so long. I loved her dedication to her job - even if it was mostly a thankless one. I'm like her friend who wants to berate her for being too selfless, for looking after other people's welfare first. But also so proud of her at the same time. 
  5. I got kilig with Gabriel and all the banter with Fi. But more than that, I loved how Tara sent an incredibly important message without being too preachy. We all have our opinions about celebrities and other people. We all have unkind thoughts. (what? you don't? sue me. haha.) But it's one thing to have them and another to act on them or voice them out. I always see hateful messages on celebrities' instagram accounts and all I can do is shake my head. I also see this a lot right now on Facebook, people calling each other names when others do not share the same thoughts on their chosen presidentiables. Saying hateful things is and will never be cool and this message was sent out loud and clear by this book. 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and I hope this book gets to many people's hands. Especially young ones who are more likely to say hateful messages online or even in person. If you would like to read this, Scandalized is now available for pre-order on Amazon!
In Ellen Degeneres fashion, I'd like to end this post with this: Be Kind To One Another.

You Might Also Like

0 comments