Review: Finding X by Miles Tan

4:54 PM

It was April 2015 when Chrissie Peria suggested Finding X to me. But it was only in July this year that I got into reading it. I'm just thankful the year hasn't ended yet when Jay E. Tria posted a photo of this book, which reminded me to write this review.

Summary:   
Is there a science to falling in love? 
Carlisle Santiago is through with men. After the devastating end of a seven-year relationship, she's trying to put her life back together. What she doesn't know is that she is the subject of the patient and methodical observations of blue-haired scientist Matteo Villegas, who just wants to find love himself. She must decide whether she's ready to give love another shot or if this is doomed to be one failed experiment. 


How do I love this? Let me count the ways: 
  1. There is no shortage in the number of alpha male characters in romance books, but we definitely need more Type B males like the adorable Matteo Villegas. This geek of a scientist is a breath of fresh air. He's definitely the type of guy I would be smitten with in real life - smart and adventurous. I like my guys a little quirky (mabuhay ang mga awkward!), but is not afraid of roller coasters. I also loved how determined and persistent he was to pursue Carlisle.  Also, don't we all wish to have someone who is attentive enough to remember the things we casually mention we like? Haaay.
  2. Like the true academic that he was, Matteo documented the progress of his pursuit of Carlisle. These journal entries in between some of the chapters was an effective way of letting the readers in on what goes through Matteo's mind. 
  3. I really like it when I see authors put in some valuable trivia or research in their works. Sure, I read fiction, but I'd love it more if I get something out of it aside from mere entertainment. The theory on UP Diliman's Sunken Garden really fascinated me. 
  4. Character development for Carlisle, the MC, was also good. We see her transition from being aloof to being more open towards the end of the story. 
  5. I also liked how both Matteo and Carlisle's close-knit relationships with their respective siblings. 
  6. I also loved the geology puns so much, so I'm sorry I'm just writing this review now. I know that was my fault. (hehehe)
  7. These moments: 
"Don't worry, the possibility of falling off is very low. And besides... I'm not going to let you fall." He held out his hand almost tentatively, adding a shy grin. "I'm told I've got pretty steady hands." 
“Finding x may be as easy as encircling it and pointing out to it when written on paper, but actually figuring out what it was, entailed a lot more than that. Perfection was an illusion; it involved a lot of work, a generous helping of patience, and a huge amount of dedication.”
I'd recommend this book to anyone who believes in love even after being jaded, and to those who find geeky characters swoon-worthy.

You may buy a copy of Finding X by Miles Tan through these links:

Amazon | Smashwords | Buqo | Barnes & Noble | iBooks | Kobo

You Might Also Like

0 comments