Review: If The Dress Fits by Carla de Guzman

1:25 AM

If The Dress Fits was another book I won from Jay E. Tria's contest during the #RomanceClass New Release Party. It was a tough decision to choose only two because they all seemed so interesting, but I was glad to have requested for this.



Summary:


Martha Aguas kind of has it all--she's an accountant who loves numbers, an accident-prone puppy that loves her, and the perfect wardrobe. 

Yes, she wears a dress size 24, her bras don't fit and she's never had a boyfriend, but so what? 

It becomes a big deal when her perfect cousin Regina announces her engagement to Enzo, the only boy she's ever loved (he doesn't know, so don't tell him!) Suddenly Aguases from all corners of the globe are coming for the event, and the last thing Martha wants is to be asked why she still prefers her lattes with a waffle on the side. 

Thank god for Max. Goofy, funny, dependable Max, who finds himself playing the fake boyfriend at the family festivities. But why does it feel like only one of them is pretending?

How do I love this? Let me count the ways:
  1. They say "don't judge a book by it's cover," but you can go against that with this one. The story is as lovely as the book cover!
  2. The book starts with Martha coming home from Seoul and her description of the city's autumn feels was perfect!
  3. This doesn't happen a lot, so I'm quite surprised that I cannot seem to decide which character I loved more, Martha or Max. The main character, Martha, is on the heavier side of the scale. She has a love affair with food, and though she has a complicated relationship with her weight, she knows how to carry herself well. She is strong, confident, and loving. Her interests include FOOD, caramel macchiato, dogs, travel, theatre, events planning, and problem-solving. She even thinks that tapsilog is the breakfast for champions. Martha and I could be BFFs if she exists in real life. I can even relate to her having a quirky family. Our only distinct difference would be her proficiency in numbers. Max, on the other hand, is a cute and funny character. He became a vet because of Hagrid (he's a character from Harry Potter, for all you Muggles) and he loves to read! He likes listening to music and even sings Aegis while on a road trip. He's also a very dependable friend and he seemed humble, despite his being well-off. He's another character that shows that guys do not need to be an alpha male type to be swoon-worthy. Gaaaaah! I need a Maxwell in my life!
  4. This story touched on the theme of body positivity. Martha often received unsolicited advice and unpleasant comments about her weight. These things made her uncomfortable but she took them bravely and confidently (with a milk tea on the side). I admire her for that, but there were times when I wished that she would call people out on their rudeness. This thing is deeply ingrained in Filipino culture and it annoys me. 
  5. The Just Friends trope is always a winner for me! 
  6. Trainman was mentioned! I really like it when authors cross-reference each other. It's like those characters exist in one universe. It pretty much shows how they support one another. #RomanceClass canon FTW.
  7. First date. OMG. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but OMG. 
  8. There were a number of relatable lines and moments for me. So much feels, I kennat. These are favorites:
"My relationship with food was long, simple, and absolutely delicious. My relationship with my weight was a little more complicated. I carried it around, and I was good at making it look effortless."
"Food has always been a part of my life. I ate when I was happy, when I was sad, when I was bored and sometimes when I was sleepy. It’s part of my growing up, and most of my memories are associated and celebrated with it. I didn't hate that I liked to eat. In fact I liked that about myself." 
"One of my least favorite things about coming home from a trip is the inevitable realization that you’re back to your usual routines." 
"I was a problem-solver, which worked well with my inherent need to help people. Everyone knew that "I need you” was my weakness." 
"She has to be my best friend," he said simply, so sure of himself that I envied his confidence. "That's all you ever want in your person, right?" 
"I'm actually happy with my weight, even though it's hard to believe. I like that I can work it, because it's mine . Everyone makes me feel so guilty for it, like there's something wrong with me. But come on. I look amazing . And honestly? I don't say it enough. I LOOK AMAZING."
I would recommend this to anyone who would appreciate a charming and lovely story about body positivity and friends falling in love.

You may purchase If The Dress Fits by Carla de Guzman through these links:
Amazon | Smashwords

You Might Also Like

0 comments