Review: Chasing Mr. Prefect by Katt Briones

9:49 PM

Chasing Mr. Prefect is yet another brilliant result of the SparkNA class. I'm slowly getting through all the published titles, and I'm happily reporting that I haven't been disappointed by the ones I've read so far.

Summary:

For the first time in her life, Vinnie finds herself on the brink of academic suspension.

While standing up to a bully is something she'll never regret, she has to take on additional responsibilities in lieu of punishment for the offense. This unfortunately involves working with Cholo, the head disciplinary prefect, who seems to take delight in other people's blunders. Her determination to match his expectations eventually leads her into a crazy chase to keep up.

Will Vinnie be able to carry on and eventually catch up? Or will the chase be too much for her to handle?


I like my girl boss heroines, who have flaws alright, but mostly know what's happening with their lives. When the story started with Vinnie in the prefect's office, I wasn't so sure I'd like her. I was all Judy McJudgy at first, but as I got to know more about this feisty and snarky character, I understood where she was coming from and I actually found her relatable. Her stress-eating, sarcastic, potty-mouth, you-can't-bully-me attitude, it me in real life. I also thought I am Ms. Easy-To-Anger, but Vinnie quickly gets that title. Haha. She's more intense that way. She could be frustrating to deal with at times, but she cares for others deeply as well.

Cholo, on the other hand, was such a dreamy love interest. He's ambitious, driven, and he has good looks, yes. But what's more important is his heart is in the right place. He's sweet and soft despite all the complications in his life. Also, I think his love language is gifts. Bongga eh. 

I liked how Vinnie and Cholo's relationship progressed and how they helped each other grow to be a better version of themselves. Haters to friends to lovers trope <3 I also found their Filipino banter hysterical. Lakas mambara ni Vinnie eh.

There are a number of supporting characters and while they initially confused me, I appreciate the way they all helped drive the story forward. I love them and I don't think I'm the only one calling for Gian's and Liana's story or even Asher's and Chan's . :)

I absolutely adored the family dynamics on this one. Vinnie's and Cholo's families aren't exactly simple, but the way Katt explored their complexities tugged at my heartstrings. She also tackled diversity, representation, college life, and relationship struggles brilliantly. I especially liked how Vinnie's struggle was told - how healing is a process and we grieve in different ways. We must respect other people's pace and acknowledge feelings instead of hurrying them to get over the pain.

Overall, I was delighted by reading Chasing Mr. Prefect. Like a Korean rom-com, it was the right mix of fun, drama, and kilig. I'm definitely picking up the next Katt Briones read.

You may purchase Chasing Mr. Prefect at your nearest National Bookstore or through these links:
Amazon | Anvil

You Might Also Like

0 comments