Review: Keeping the Distance by Clarisse David

9:29 PM

I've read Prom Queen Perfect by Clarisse David at the start of this year (which reminds me, I need to write the review for that) and I absolutely adored it! Then here comes Keeping the Distance - another YA, another enemies to lovers trope. Naturally, I had high expectations even before I started reading this. But I am happy to report that Clarisse David did not disappoint!


Summary

No bets. No fake relationships. Just a very real one that has to be kept under wraps.

Seventeen-year-old Melissa wants to dye her hair cotton candy pink and focus on her ukulele instead of Physics. But she can't. As the daughter of a Catholic school principal, living up to her model student image 24/7 is a must. Something's about to give under all the pressure. She only hopes it isn't her.

Getting involved with a troublemaking basketball player is the last possible thing she needs...

Lance is used to getting what he wants. With a pretty face he uses to full advantage and his role as co-captain of the basketball team, the easy way is the only way he's ever known. Until the day he notices the prim Melissa he's known forever is actually hot and decides to ask her out. He has no idea he's about to learn the lesson of a lifetime.

Not getting what he wants might exactly be what he needs...


Keeping the Distance features an unlikely pair in the characters of Melissa Ortiz, the daughter of the school principal and Lance Ordonez, the trouble-making playboy. Mel initially liked her childhood friend, Hunter, but Lance was persistent and once she saw  him for who he really is, she can't help but be smitten. The only thing that stops Mel  to really get together with Lance is her dad's dislike for him. So even if she likes him already, they had to meet in secret and keep their relationship under wraps. *cue chorus of One Direction's Perfect*

Many people would be able to relate to Mel, how she strived so hard to make her parents, especially her dad, proud. On the other hand, Lance could easily annoy people by being a smartass, but he served, at least for me, as a reminder to be kind, because all of us are going thru things.

Lance reminded me so much of one of my favorite TV love interests, Nathan Scott of One Tree Hill. They were both rich, popular kids who play basketball. And while both boys longed for love from their family, they both gave their all when they fell in love. They both loved fiercely, even when their ladies seemed to give up on them. I initially rolled my eyes at how bratty and playboy Lance is, but his character was well-developed that in the end of the story, I was left admiring his character, his strong resolve, and persistence.

The supporting characters were also lovely. Cam was supportive of Mel and she proved to be a good accomplice on whatever her bestfriend needed to do. Hunter and Jace were also interesting. I'd love to get to know them in the future installments of this series. Yesssss! It actually said "I heart Iloilo 1" so I'm looking forward to the next ones! Here, take my money!!!

Now that I've mentioned Iloilo, I actually kind of hoped there was more description of the place. I haven't been there and I would have loved to get a glimpse of the place's beauty through the narrative.

Like any good enemies to lovers story, the banter in this one is golden! I loved how Clarisse balanced the bickering and cuteness. It's got the right amount of funny, but also had its serious moments. I found myself smiling a lot while reading this, but it also broke my heart when things got tough for the characters.

Writing was good that I ended up buying Ruffles, and wanting to learn how to play the ukelele. I just haven't been to a 7-eleven, but I'd sure be having a slurpee when I see one. Maybe Clarisse should also consider a job in the advertising/marketing field. Haha.

I have read a lot of YA romance, and Keeping the Distance just became one of my favorites. It was a quick read, but the story was not rushed at all. You would also love this if you're a fan of grand gestures. I am not, but I admire someone who can do what Mel did. Wow. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is into YA contemporary romance.

You may purchase Keeping the Distance through this link:
Amazon

You Might Also Like

0 comments