Blasts from Two Pasts by Kristel S. Villar

9:03 AM

So last week was pretty challenging for me. I was grumpy and I made myself feel better by eating my feelings and (book) retail therapy. I bought six books written by Filipino authors, and so far, I've only finished reading one: Blasts From Two Pasts by Kristel S. Villar.


Summary; 


Fate's been playing tricks on Cara Nicolas lately. She agrees to go on a blind date with her best friend’s fiancé’s cousin, only to discover that the guy is her first love from high school, Lucas Lobregat. Now that would have been a charming story, except that the date turns out to be one of the worst ever. And they can’t even pretend it never happened, because they’re both suddenly part of the wedding preparations.



Just as she is starting to get to know more about the boy she used to love, Oliver Sta. Maria, an old flame who owes her some closure, surprisingly shows up. With two pasts resurfacing, which will Cara choose to rekindle? Or can she have the chance to choose at all?



I finished this book really quickly and that's a sure sign that I liked the story. So how do I love this? Let me count the ways:


1. Story - It was fast-paced, light-hearted and charming. Kristel Villar did a wonderful job in describing the joys and frustration of dating. Also, that yearning for closure? When you don't really want to get back together with your old flame, but you want to understand the past? Then that phase of picking up the pieces and putting your life back together after a long-term relationship? Spot on.

2. Lloyd.  He's not a main character, I know! He reminds me so much of my gay friends. He'll call you on your bullshit and be truthful to you when you're making a huge mistake.

3. Cara. She was likable and I completely understand where she's coming from when she wanted closure from Oliver. I also wanted to pat her back when she courageously went after the things she really wanted when her long-term relationship ended. Naka-relate ako eh.  I've rooted for her and Lucas, because I wanted her to be happy. But Lucas' character threw me off a little bit. If he really was taken by Cara like he said, then I think he could've done more. I get that he was hurt when he saw Cara and Oliver together. But to me, it was as if he'll only pursue Cara if he's sure that she would pick him. I like my guys to not be afraid of risks. Someone who wouldn't give up easily without a fight. Lucas was surely swoon-worthy. Kahit siguro ako, magkaka-crush sa kanya if I've met him in high school and he was that charming. But like in Songs To Get Over You, I've read this for the head-strong female character.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. I'd recommend this to people who likes romantic comedies and wants a quick read.

You Might Also Like

0 comments