Review: Songs of Our Breakup by Jay E. Tria

10:59 PM

I am good at moving on from unpleasant things, but give me something good and you can expect me to dwell on it. It comes as no surprise then that I still have #AprilFeelsDay hangover.

I haven't read the Playlist series prior to attending #AprilFeelsDay, so hindi ako naka-relate when there was a lot of sighs and awws while Jef Flores and Rachel Coates did the live-reading of Songs to Get Over You. I had to read the series in order though, so let me start with Songs of Our Breakup.

I guessed that this book would be somewhat melancholic and that's the reason why I avoided it at first. But oh boy, this book must come with a warning. Maybe one that says: This is a page-turner. Do not read when you're about to sleep.

Summary:

Every breakup has its playlist.


How do you get over a seven-year relationship? 21-year-old Jill is trying to find out. But moving on is a harder job when Kim, her ex-boyfriend, is the lead guitarist of the band, and Jill is the vocalist. Every song they play together feels like slicing open a barely healed tattoo.

Jill’s best friend Miki says she will be out of this gloom soon. Breakups have a probation period, he says. Jill is on the last month of hers and Miki is patiently keeping her company.

But the real silver lining is Shinta. Having a hot Japanese actor friend in times like these is a welcome distraction. This gorgeous celebrity has been defying time zones and distance through the years to be there for Jill. Now he is here, physically present, and together he and Jill go through old lyrics, vivid memories, walks in the rain, and bottles of beer. Together they try to answer the question: what do you do when forever ends?


How do I love this? Let me count the ways:
  1. Lyrics/songs - I didn't realize this til now, but when given singers/bands as characters, I expect some songs included in the story. It's through songs that singers express themselves, and it seems fake without them. Good thing that Jay E. Tria did not disappoint! If the lyrics in this book are proof, she can be a good songwriter/poet. I love how the lyrics written supposedly by Trainman members, reflected the emotions of the characters. I just wish that the songs were "listenable" just like those in Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover.  
  2. Characters - I still find this weird but I kind of liked how flawed the characters were. Jill is okay, she's funny and relatable. There were times when I wanted to hug her, but I think there were more times when I wanted to slap her because she's so dense. And hello, ang haba ng hair ni ate girl! Ang dami naming walang boyfriend, ikaw, tatlo ka-loveteam mo? Haha. Next is Kim. I perfectly understand that he needed to break-up with Jill. In fact, I admired him for being brave in making that decision because sometimes, even when you're always together with someone, you just grow apart. But he didn't have to do it in a callous, cold-hearted manner. Especially because he and Jill still work together. Then there's Miki, the always-ready shoulder to cry on. But he's a guy best friend cliché. More on that on my next review. Shinta is such a darling. He's sweet, good-looking, all-around nice guy and funny. But he's abangers. I thought he was always waiting in the wings, just waiting forthe opportunity and he's ready to pounce on Jill. Nino and Son are funny and they are good friends, but one is a womanizer and the other seems childish. So yeah, they are all imperfect. But their flaws also made them realistic and endearing. 
  3. Humor/Banter- Although this book had a lot of feels, it wasn't entirely a SOB (Songs of Our Breakup, gets? hehe) story. The characters were funny and I love all the playful banter and sarcasm. Reading their exchanges was like hanging around with my guy friends.
  4. Setting- I like how I can picture UP Diliman as their college setting and Saguijo  (I've never been there, but I read Spell Saab a lot.) for Commute bar. 
  5. Feels - Damn all those feelings. Jay E. Tria perfectly captured the emotions of someone who's going through a breakup. 
  6. Quotable quotes - This one had a lot of heartfelt moments and it translated to beautiful quotes. Below are my favorites because...
This one perfectly sums up why one just have to move on: 
“You don’t really stop loving someone…It’s just that you’re different now from the person you were yesterday. And you can’t go back. Even if you can, why would you want to?”
I also asked a similar question: 
Why don’t they teach that in school? Emotional Safety 101. How to love without losing your sanity. Instead of people running around claiming they feel it, while not knowing what to do with it, how to handle it, how not to break it, how to keep it whole. It’s a terribly dangerous thing in the wrong hands. 
I'm mostly protected by this same thing: 
"You have too much sarcasm in your veins. That protects you.”  
Overall, I enjoyed reading SOB. It even stole some precious hours of my sleep because I just can't put it down. I found the going back and forth format of the events off-putting at first, but it just needed some getting used to. It was actually easier and faster for me to read the second book. I've finished reading that too, so the review for Songs to Get Over You is up next.

You Might Also Like

1 comments