Does this friend spark joy?

4:05 PM

Yesterday, I was browsing Saab Magalona's Twitter feed when I saw this:










It made me laugh because I kind of do this. I actually clean my friends list periodically, especially on Facebook. I maintain just around 500 friends there. Since most of those are acquaintances and not really real-life friends for keeps, I don't have qualms in deleting them. Sure, I can always just unsubscribe and still leave them in my friends list, but why? If I'm not interested enough to know their life events or if their thoughts appall me, why would I even keep them as a friend?

Trust me, this is helpful to people like me who gets affected or angered by things easily. There is enough negativity around and we do not need to self-inflict ourselves with BS by maintaining connections with people who do not spark joy in our lives.

From campaign season up to now, there were a couple of my friends who ranted on how baffled they are by their friends' opinions. I didn't get any of this. My news feed actually provided me with a wealth of information because my well-curated list of friends chose to share well-informed thoughts and well-researched articles. I saw some threads with friends having conversations regarding their opposing views, but they did it while respecting each other. No name-calling and no heated discussions.

My friends can continue teasing me and giving me sarcastic thanks that they still make the cut every time I weed my friends list. And me, I'd do it over and over again, because I value my sanity over fake friendships.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Only keep the one who brings positivity in your life,I agree.

    I think we need to discern who to keep and who to walk away from.

    Love this blog, sis! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete